Friday, November 18, 2011

Sweet and Spicy...

My mother-in-law handed me two ginormous sweet potatoes the other day.  Think football-sized potatoes. Think brick-sized spuds.  I'm not sure where she found these abnormally large potatoes but now they're mine, and I have to think of ways to use them.

Between me and the hubby, I am the only one that likes sweet potatoes.  I get excited over sweet potato fries, the sweet potato tortilla chips from Food Should Taste Good (they really do!), good 'ol fashioned baked sweet potatoes (with the skin), and anything sweet potato-related.  It's just that good.  But the problem is the hubby.  I know I needed his help with eating these huge sweet potatoes, but how would I "trick" him into eating something he doesn't like?  I set out to find a recipe that would pair sweet potatoes with other items that may overpower the potatoes, a flavorful dish, and something healthy so that he doesn't have eaters remorse afterwards.  Luckily, I found it.

Sweet and Spicy Turkey, Beef, and Sweet Potato Stew with Coconut Milk
from Kalyn's Kitchen

Tools
- crock pot

A few variations...
...I didn't have enough ground turkey so I grounded up a slab of sirloin beef in order to yield 1 pound of meat.
...I didn't have any green onions so I added green peas instead.  I know, not really a substitute but I thought the peas would be a great touch and color!

All the cooked and uncooked ingredients go into my favorite appliance in the kitchen - the crock pot.


Truly a sweet and spicy dish... first you are hit with a sweet yet salty taste, then the spiciness lingers in your mouth for a few minutes... until you take the next bite.

4 comments:

  1. this sounds sooooo good!! I made a similar dish with butternut squash + coconut milk + lime before..it was too sweet...I think instead of lime, I would like the garlic soy sauce better. Definitely gonna try making this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So did the hubby like it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmm another great crock pot recipe!! cool~ maybe i should finally open my crock pot... ahhahaa

    ReplyDelete