Friday, November 4, 2011

Mapo Tofu... Hmm Hmm Spicy!

On a cold and rainy day, which is what we've been experience as of late, a nice hot and spicy dish on top of white rice or noodles is a great way to end the day.  I loved the fact that I used soft tofu in this dish (you can choose between soft or medium-firm) because the tofu melted in my mouth much like M&Ms.  I cooked egg noodles to pair with the dish and the thick salty and spicy sauce mixed quite well with the egg noodles.  Gosh, I am drooling as I talk about it!

Mapo Tofu
from Appetite for China

A few tips (and variations)...
...I used soft tofu for this dish... it was perfect!  When cutting the tofu, slice it horizontally across first to yield two layers of tofu, and then cut into cubes.
...I substituted pork with ground turkey.  Equally delicious (and healthier too!).
...I used the black bean garlic sauce instead of fermented black beans, pictured here:














...the chili bean paste (make sure to get the spicy kind) is the same as the ones you would use for Za Zang Mien, pictured here:


...I didn't have any leeks so I used green onions instead.
...I left out the sherry/rice wine and ground Sichuan pepper since I didn't have any... the peppers may have made for a spicier dish.
...I added cremini mushrooms since I had to get rid of them soon.

2 comments:

  1. Wow not instant from the package? Impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of your many "best of" dishes!

    ReplyDelete