Friday, June 29, 2012

Pickled Cucumbers

This pickled cucumbers dish was a staple item for me growing up.  A popular Chinese dish, I always order it whenever I am eating at a Taiwanese restaurant.  My mom also knows that I love this, so she will remember to make it when it's hot out.  It's been hot out, so I decided to make it for myself!  It's quite a simple dish to put together... I may be pickling more often now.

Pickled Cucumbers

Ingredients
- 8 Persian cucumbers
- 2 1/2 tsp salt
- 8 cloves of garlic, smashed
- 4 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 1/2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- garlic chili sauce, to your desired spiciness (I only put a dash for taste)

Steps
1. Wash the cucumbers and cut it in half length-wise. Cut it again length-wise to produce 4 long slices.  Cut the slices in half (or thirds, depending on how long the slices are) into 2 or 3-inch pieces.

2. Toss cucumbers with salt and let it sit for 20-30 minutes, to let excess water drain out.

3. Drain water and mix in smashed garlic, rice vinegar, sugar, sesame oil, and garlic chili sauce (optional).  Mix well!

4. Place it in the refrigerator overnight (about 24 hours for best results) and enjoy!

Serves 2-3.

Crunch crunch.  The garlic gives it a little extra kick!

1 comment: