Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Summer Dessert with Nectarines and Apricots

One of the common questions I get while being pregnant right now is: do you crave anything?  Sometimes I think long and hard about this because I don't really think I do.  I do not have crazy cravings such as pickles dipped in chocolate or fries dipped in ice cream (although I already do love this with McDonald's soft serve and their french fries... hmm, I want some right now), but I guess I do crave something, and I eat A LOT of it... fruits!!

This started back during my first trimester, when I avoided eating a lot of things because nothing seemed appetizing to me.  I felt like I had to force myself to eat my lunch or dinner (especially dinner... I just wanted to go to sleep!), but the only thing I enjoyed eating were fruits.  It was apples, oranges, and bananas at the time since it was winter.  Now that summer is here, I am a much happier pregnant lady!  I get to enjoy items such as watermelon, cantaloupe, pineapple, peaches, nectarines, plums, apricots, pears, cherries, and the list goes on and on... you know those Costco-sized watermelons?  I can eat one all by myself in less than a week.  I LOVE FRUIT!

My current love for fruits inspired me to make a quick dessert for the family last Saturday night.  I have sooo much fruit in my fridge, why not share?  This was a delicious and fulfilling galette, especially with a big scoop of Haagen-Dazs vanilla ice cream!

Nectarine and Apricot Galette
from Simply Recipes

A few variations...
...instead of using 2 peaches, I used 1 nectarine and 4 large apricots.
...mixed 2 tsp of sugar and 1/2 tsp of cinnamon together to get cinnamon sugar, and generously sprinkled the mixture on the crust (after the eggwash process) to give it a bit more of a sugary taste.  If you have coarse sugar, it's even better!
...I actually forgot the small chunks of butter to be placed on top of the fruits, but I don't think it mattered much.  You can opt out if trying to save some fatty calories (quite little though).

Happy fruits.

Alternating nectarine and apricot slices.  Fold the corners to wrap it all up!

Mouthwatering...

1 comment:

  1. It's so pretty assembled! I didn't see that, just put it in my mouth hehe

    ReplyDelete