Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Just Pictures (New York City Edition): More Markets

We visited three other markets on this trip: Chelsea Market, Union Square Green Market, and Union Square Holiday Shops.

Chelsea Market // Chelsea

The Chelsea Market reminds me of the San Francisco Ferry Building, but bigger.  It's an indoor market with lots and lots of different shops and restaurants, from bakeries to seafood markets, gourmet shops and various cuisines.  Besides eating to your heart's content, there are also stores where you can shop to your heart's content.  It is like a girl's paradise!  My friend and I spent hours inside a sample sale store (designer clothing at a much lower price) and drooled as I went window shopping for food.  Little food shops were everywhere.  Love.

Shops and stores all along the way and freshly baked breads from Amy's Bread.

Eleni: a unique bakery with giant cupcakes and fancy (and quite expensive!) cookies.

Fresh seafood galore!

Right next to the Chelsea Market was an area called The High Line.  It used to be an old railroad situated above ground and in the last few years, turned into a public park.  The High Line stretches about 18 blocks with lots of shrubbery and trees, along with office and residential buildings along the way.  We saw a couple of residences that were placed right next to the High Line, with large windows that people can look in (and the homeowners can look out).  I'm not sure why anyone would want to live there?  We were lucky and caught a weekend of nice high 60's degree weather in New York, and we had a leisurely little walk on the High Line.



I have been to the Union Square Green Market before, but it was nice to come back again to roam around and sample various items.  Because of the holidays, the Union Square Holiday Shops were also open, right next doors.  First off, the Green Market:

So much produce, unique plants, and fragrant flowers!  They were also selling beautiful fresh holiday wreaths.  I would of bought one if I lived there!

A couple of goodies we picked up - apple cider doughnuts and pretzels. 

Then on to the shops.  The Holiday Shops was an overwhelming gathering of local stores in New York, selling anything and everything. We saw cool artists' paintings and pictures, creative T-shirts, and super cute animal beenies. Of course, there were edible items mixed in, from Belgian waffles, to macarons, and spices, olive oils, and salts.  My favorite purchase was the black truffle salt from The Filling Station (the main store is actually inside of Chelsea Market).  Ever since I've had the truffle salt in my posession, I think of every occassion to get a little bit of the delicious truffle salt on my food!

(From left to right, clockwise)
Salted Caramel, Nutella, and Pistachio macarons from Macaron Parlour.  Belgian waffles from Wafels & Dinges (I really wanted to try this but was so stuffed from lunch!).  Tahitian vanilla ice cream from Coolhaus (pictures of the truck to the left).  Black truffle salt from The Fililng Station.

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, that is nutsss.. I think I would get too overwhelmed at those markets!

    ReplyDelete