Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Chocolate Cupcakes - Moist and Delicious

I am working really hard to become a mediocre baker.  I am not even aiming for to be a great baker, because that is reaching far beyond the stars, but just one that can pass by from time to time.  Not exaggerating, but 8 out of 10 times, I would fail at baking something.  The end product would be too hard, too watery, or just too disgusting to eat.  I would stare at the pile of baked goods sitting in my trash can with sadness and wonder where did it all go wrong?! 

Lately, I have been failing more than succeeding.  I recall about a month ago, I was trying out a new muffin recipe, after making multiple delicious batches of other types of muffins, and I failed horribly.  Giving this some thought, I came to the conclusion that I am too ambitious about baking.  For savory dishes, I would typically look at the ingredients and how long it would take to make it.  If everything works out, then I would attempt to make the dish.  I took the same approach with baking.  Most of the ingredients are easy to find - flour, baking soda, baking powder, milk, oil, etc. - and it only takes a few minutes to incorporate everything together.  But what I forget are the skills and techniques that go into every batter.  Beat, stir, fold... I may think I know what they mean, but I most likely do not perform them correctly!  My goal now is to start small, tiny baby steps, with baking.  No more ambitious recipes or complicated techniques.  I hope my husband has the appetite because more are coming!

Moist Chocolate Cupcakes
from Simply Recipes

The results?

Chocolate cupcake: easy to make, moist and delicious, just as promised.  I opted to cut out some sugar, from 1 cup to 3/4 cup.

Chocolate frosting: major FAIL.  I think where I went wrong was that I wanted to cut the recipe in half, and I did that with everything, except for the cocoa (old brain, forgot).  It ended up making the mixture really thick, which I tried to compensate by adding the other half of the butter and putting it back on the stove for melting, and this became a downward slope towards frosting failure.  Another strike added to my record.  Instead, I sprinkled powder sugar and placed a piece of strawberry on top.  It's healthier, right?


1 comment:

  1. you should really try to find the recipes w/ measurement as grams not cups... i find myself failing more on American recipes when they only tell you how many cups of flour and how many cups of sugar you need… baking needs to be very precise…. Every gram counts. I do better on Chinese recipes.. also, they give you more instructions such as on how to fold, how to stir…. Cupcake is hard to make anyway… That’s why I always try to avoid making cupcakes.. hahaha you should try to make chiffon cakes!!! You’ll feel very proud after one success and you’ll never fail again! I can give you lots of tips on that~ keep doing whatever you are doing~ you’ll be great at it~

    ReplyDelete