Saturday, March 19, 2011

Hi 2011... and some of this year's Kitchen Goodies

I have been MIA lately... another pause in the blogging world as my life insanely vortexes around work, and what I should be doing every 9-5 on weekdays turns into every 8-5, and then 7-11, and sometimes also on weekends.  Although this website is a great escape from my every day work life, sometimes it's just too damn busy to escape! 

In addition, another reason for my lack of words is possibly due to an earlier experience with my teeth this year.  As a happy new year and happy birthday to myself, I took out all 4 of my wisdom teeth in early January.  While the experience of the tooth extraction itself was quite pleasant (more nitrous oxide gas and anesthesia, pu-lease!), the healing portion of this entire ordeal was quite excruciating and painful.  One of the most serious side effect of this surgery was the lost of enjoyment for eating, as each small, tiny bite of jello or KFC mashed potatoes did not taste as good as it used to.  And after a few weeks, when I can chew on much tastier and solid food, each bite came with a stingy reminder that someone had pried open my gums and took out 4 bigass teeth.  My jaw did not heal as fast as I had hoped, and having to open my mouth to stuff food in and then attempting to chew was just not fun anymore.  During this time, I could not bare to watch the Food Network or Travel Channel, or even read some of my favorite food blogs.  I was just too hungry and too unsatisfied to deal with anything about food.

It's almost the end of March, and lately I am getting some of my cooking groove back.  Work is starting to calm a bit down and I am fully healed.  And yes, I finally have a desire to update this blog!  Needless to say, I have a small backlog of recipes and experiences to share.

To start off, this past holiday season was great for me to grow as an amateur cook and blogger.  My family and friends know I am always looking for ways to jazz up food and the pictures I take, so I received mostly cook-and-food-related presents.  They know the way to my heart... :))

 Food plating options; handy machines and tools
Look at these pretty plates... colorful ones from Anthropologie (courtesy of sis Subs);
classic white ones, a must-have for every household, from Crate and Barrel (courtesy of EC)

2 comments: