Monday, August 18, 2008

Fulfilling and Educational

This weekend I ate some yummy stuff and saw some interesting things. It was fulfilling and educational! :)


I found this interesting fruit in Chinatown so I had to be the tourist and bust out my camera! Thanks to google, I found out what it is: rambutan. It's like lychee or logan... darn, I should have bought some because I love lychee! Nice, I learned something.





We also stopped by San Mateo's Sweet Breams for a yummy taiyaki snack. We got one of everything - azuki (red bean), vanilla, chocolate, nutella, and coconut (flavor of the week). I think there was also an extra one that they snuck in there, and it tasted like custard. That was a good idea and a nice suprise. The shop was cute (they were showing Totoro), the service very nice, and the taiyaki good, but I felt that the price for this snack was waaaay too expensive for what you get! 6 for $3.25 and 12 for $5.50. That's about $0.45 - $0.54 for ONE! And it really is pretty tiny!


I finally got what I was craving for for weeks - gyro salad! After a nice walk around the farmer's market and scored some big and fresh fruits and veggies, we stopped by Gyros House in Mountain View for an early lunch. They piled tons of gyro meat on it (score!) and the bread that came with it was so crunchy and good! The bread wasn't the usual pita bread, but this change was a good one. I almost ate the whole basket!





The only cooking I did this weekend was making Monday's lunch (hehe), which was Honey Mint Glazed Chicken (from Simply Recipes). I found this website one day just being bored at work and surfing the web. It's a great food blog where the owner of the blog, Elise, shares her recipes. She has everything from entrees to appetizers to desserts. She also categorizes it by the types of ingredients, low-carb, occasions, etc. And it's fairly... simple!


Started out with 4 pieces of chicken - 2 legs, 2 wings. I marinated the chicken with white vinegar and OO as the recipe had called it.








Honey and fresh chopped mint in a bowl, prior to adding water. I loooove fresh mint. And growing it in my backyard is really fun too!








I chose to bake my chicken (instead of grilled) in the oven for 475 degrees for 20 minutes. I then took it out and glazed it with the honey mint mix. It was pretty hot that some juices splattered on my hands!





Back in the oven it goes for another 10 minutes.









The result - delicious honey mint glazed chicken. It was so simple and yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment