Monday, August 8, 2011

Fishy Noodles

I feel adventurous lately, and it's paying off!  Fish roe has become a new favorite item for me, and I really enjoy eating Japanese-style pasta every now and then.  I usually only get Japanese pasta at the restaurants, but when I saw easy sauce packs at the local Japanese supermarket, I had to give it a try.  Adding a couple of little twists, I use udon noodles instead and added some green peas.  The end result?  The hubby approves.

Spicy Mentaiko Udon

Ingredients
- 1 pack S&B Spicy Cod Roe Spaghetti Sauce and 1 pack of seaweed strips (package contains 2 packs of sauce and seaweed strips)














- 2 packs of udon noodles, frozen
- 1/4 cup frozen green peas
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp olive oil (per egg)

Steps
1. Bring a pot of water to boil and drop in frozen udon noodles and frozen peas for 2 minutes (and no longer! Don't worry if the water doesn't boil again).  Drain water and place udon and peas in a big bowl.

2. Add the pack of spicy cod roe sauce to the noodles and toss.  Separate noodles into 2 bowls or plates.

3. Heat a pan with 2 tsp olive oil and fry the egg, about 1-2 minutes on each side (you want a runny yolk for this dish).  Repeat for the second egg.

4. Place fried egg on top of noodles and add seaweed strips.

Serves 2.

I paired the noodles with homegrown cherry tomatoes salad.  So sweet. 

3 comments:

  1. YUMMM!! it's so funny because I just started an post on mentaiko too! but it'll take me awhile since i've been feeling lazy :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice... great minds cook alike! I want to try to use fresh mentaiko next time, it will be even more delicious.

    ReplyDelete