Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Dine About Town SF - Trip #2

Since we tried lunch, gotta have dinner too, right?  Dinner was at the french restaurant Cassis in the Fillmore.  A nice quaint restaurant on the corner of Sutter and Steiner.

First course, a choice of -
Wild Mushrooms in a Puff Pastry.  This was my dish - the dish did not come as I had imagined, as I thought that the wild mushrooms were going to be inside the puff pastry.  The wild mushrooms and sauce was delicious enough that I can lick them off the plate, but the puff pastry was cold, and cold food to me is a BIG NO-NO.  This dish was a bit disappointing.
Duck Foie Gras Terrine served with Corn Bread and Blueberry Port Wine Jam.  I'm not a lover of foie gras (I guess I can't get over the weird taste of liver!!), but the cornbread slices and blueberry jam was great! The foie gras lover of the relationship really liked this dish.
Crab Salad served with Cocktail Sauce and Citrus Segments on a Bed of Arugula, Soja Vinaigrette with Sesame Seeds.  This was my second choice and really should have gone with it!  I had a small bite and the fulfilling crab salad (look at that huge mountain of crab!) with the tanginess of the arugula was refreshing. 

Second course, a choice of -
Braised Short Ribs, Shallot Confit with Red Wine, served with Mashed Sweet Potatoes. This massive chunk of meat was DELICIOUS!  Soft, tender, and melted in your mouth.  And mashed sweet potatoes?!  Can't beat that!
Wild Mushroom Stuffed Quail in a Creamy Bacon “au Jus” Sauce, on a Bed of Cabbage with Bacon Bits and served with Fingerling Potatoes.  This was my dish - I've never had quail so really wanted to try this, and thank goodness it didn't disappoint!  The wild mushroom stuffing was good, and I love cabbage with anything, so the bed of cabbage was cooked just right (besides, it had bacon in it!).
Pan-roasted Day Boat Scallops in a Butter Emulsion Curry Sauce, served with Crispy Wild Californian Rice with Chorizo.  Upon receiving this dish, JF took one look and exclaim, "ONLY THREE SCALLOPS?!!"  It truly wasn't enough.  The scallops were seared perfectly, and are probably one of the most tender scallops I've ever had (just last week in Boston I had some really tough scallops.. ick.)  I didn't dig the wild rice much, as it tasted too tough and "healthy" for me... heh.

Third course, a choice of -
Chocolate and Banana Mousse Cake with Coconut Sauce.  This was my dessert, and three words for the three different layers (from top to bottom: chocolate mousse, chocolate cake, banana mousse): YUM YUM YUM.
Homemade Profiteroles with Dulce de Leche Ice Cream, Topped with Caramelized Hazelnuts.  Can anything go wrong with dulce de leche ice cream?!  This was a deeeeelicious dessert.  A+!
Vanilla Bean Rice Pudding with an Orange Crisp and Strawberry sauce.  The hubby ordered this and all of us thought it wasn't good.  It was bland (barely had any vanilla flavor) and the rice was a bit tough.  The hubby didn't finish it because of it... poor guy.

A great Dine About Town experience this year... can't wait until it's back again!

4 comments:

  1. The pictures look more appetizing than the actual food. I think Butterfly below was better than Cassis...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, I should not have clicked on this right before I have to go to dailey. I'm going to be thinking about that short ribs during class. And nooo i totally thought cassis was so much better than butterfly!

    ReplyDelete