Sunday, June 24, 2012

Just Pictures: Big Island Eats

In terms of cooking, I've been MIA for awhile. The reason?  A certain tiny human being has taken over my life and I am either too tired or too achy to step into the kitchen and whip up something.  Yes, we are expecting and our ever growing baby boy is currently at 27 weeks!  We cannot wait for his arrival this late September!

Before the baby's arrival, we decided to have one last go at a real vacation and spent a week on the Big Island of Hawaii.  It was an amazing, relaxing, and food-filling week of sun-soaking, island-exploring, and food-tasting fun.  Take a look at some of the great things (and a couple of "THE BEST" things) we tasted:


Because I cannot eat raw fish (trust me, I was kicking myself over and over again the entire week), I have to rely on my hubby's equally good taste buds to let me know if this place was good. With a raving 5-stars from 223 reviewers on Yelp, and the hubby grinning, savoring each bite of the fish every time he had it, I knew I was missing out on something big.  Daily, there are usually about 4-6 choices of poke, and you can choose 1 or 2 styles of poke, a side, and a big blob of white or brown rice with nori (seaweed) flakes sprinkled generously on top.

Top to bottom: sesame poke with kimchi mussels and white rice; Pele's Kiss with crab salad and brown rice.

Yes, I am drooling along with you.  To top it off, this place was literally right outside our rented condo, so I have to walk by it every day, watching everyone enjoying the delicious poke!  I'm not sure if we'll ever be back, but if we get the chance, I am definitely going to try it, multiple times!!

Island Fruits

Left to right: kona mango - it's just so much better in Hawaii; apple banana - tangy and sweet banana; papaya -  a MUST!

Rotana's Thai Cuisine

One of THE BEST I've ever had - a super fresh papaya salad.  It was the perfect combination of green papaya, tomatoes, carrots, peanuts, lime juice, and fish sauce.  There may be other secret ingredients.  I can eat this every day! 


A nice meal with amazing views to round out our week on the Big Island.

Left to right: complementary salad and coconut curry soup, lava flow (virgin and non-virgin), and Kona chicken wings.

Top to bottom: braised short ribs on a bed of chow mien and Kona orange duck with a side of brown rice.


One can't go to Hawaii without eating some shaved ice!  Super fine ball of ice drenched with mango and passion fruit syrup, with a delicious macadamia nut vanilla ice cream in the center.  Creamy and fruity!


Another THE BEST, AND THE MOST AMAZING MOCHI I HAVE EVER HAD.  EVER EVER HAD.  EVER.  If you are going to visit the Big Island, I highly recommend visiting this small store in Hilo downtown for amazing mochi.  Their signature strawberry mochi is out of this world, and it really is THE freshest thing we've ever had.  I've had the same strawberry mochi in Japan and it wasn't as good as the ones here.  It is as big as your head and can seriously fulfill you with just one.  The nice lady that helped us also gave us an extra one for the road - how nice!

We also tried other flavors, from top left to right, clockwise: lilikoi (passion fruit), marshmallow, peach, chi chi (milk-flavored), peanut butter, and brownie.  We were not able to finish them all in one day, but because they are SO fresh, it was still delicious the next morning.  After we finished them all, we were sad that we did not get 2 or 3 more boxes!

It was a great excuse to get away, and maybe we should have went on multiple babymoons. :)

We love Hawaii...

Baby and Me (at 19 weeks)

2 comments:

  1. omgomgomgomg i just drooled on my laptop hahaha. great post and awesome pix of food..I know I already saw these before but looking at them each time makes me so hungry..

    hahaa at least I get to go to Hawaii soon :P

    ReplyDelete